Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Heraldry Used in Tree Climbing (9)

Having a JONES family from my own hometown publishing a book containing a well documented account of a "Captain Roger Jones" from Virginia and London, as well as picturing a "coat of arms" attributed to this individual...could it be...my own family?  However, some difficulties appeared.  First, the arms were supposed to be used by old Roger before his arrival to Virginia prior to 1700.  As described in previous posts, the total Jones arms given by Burke (1840 edition) did not contain a family with three heads chopped off at he neck.  If indeed this Roger Jones used this arms, it should have been contained in Burke.  Next, it was discovered that a Nicholas Jones proved to be the first of my family to have arrived in Kentucky. [No Nicholas found in this Roger Jones group]  A Revolutionary War Service Record S16169 recorded that my Nicholas was born in Caroline Co., VA November 14, 1762.  A pension application taken July 26, 1832 provided one of my most favored family heirlooms...his signature...


Now Caroline Co., VA was to become the center of my genealogical attention.  Who were the ancestors of my Nicholas prior to 1762?  Could using a coat of arms help here?  From Kentucky to Virginia...a link had been made.

No comments:

Post a Comment